Sr. Systems Engineer - Unix
Senior Systems Engineer - UNIX
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Clearance Requirement: Eligibility for a Government Public Trust (SF-85) background investigation (US Citizenship required)
Who Are We?
1901 Group prides itself on looking ahead of our competitors for the next wave of IT trends. We provide our employees with training and development opportunities, preparing them for upcoming technical challenges.
With primary office locations in Blacksburg and Reston, VA, our teams support customers from across the United States. Our innovative IT As-A Service delivery model is supported by industry certifications that ensure quality and efficient IT solutions.
We are transforming the delivery of IT services through the use of enterprise managed services that leverage the cloud to securely monitor, manage, and optimize complex IT environments.
The history of automation is what inspired the name of our company. 1901 was the year that another disruptive technology changed the world: the assembly line. Leveraging skills and materials in an efficient manner within a repeatable process that quadrupled output applies to IT services today.
Who We Need:
- Highly experienced and seasoned professional who can work well with customers while addressing day to day operations, support, and management of their network infrastructure
- Gifted troubleshooter who can ask good questions and research alternative solutions
- Proactive mind that steps toward the next task, understanding the impact to customer operations and company metrics.
- Engaged personality, providing feedback to management to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
What You’ll Spend Most of Your Time Doing
- First 90-Days
- Complete internal training and support 1901 Group infrastructure operations
- Enter clearance process for key customers and support structures
- First 6-Months
- Engage with customer environments as clearances come through
- Mature capabilities using team toolsets and processes
- At the end of your first year with 1901
- Develop strong operational picture of supported environments
- Integrate into team tasking and establish your contributions
- Assess future training and clearances to grow in your career
As a Senior Systems Engineer, you will:
- Maintain and manage remote systems while also providing guidance to intermediate and Jr. team members.
- Assist in the application of Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) on remote hosts to ensure security compliance.
- Ensure that data center operations are sustained during all maintenance activities.
- Assist in the execution of all applicable Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) controls for systems. Submit any applicable Plan of Action and Milestone (POAM) where required.
- Assist Sr. administrators in the delivery of high availability for all server resources within the data center while ensuring confidentiality and integrity of the environment.
- Ensure all aspects of Disaster Recovery (DR) are operational and tested.
- Monitor health, performance and operational trends to proactively identify issues before they become incidents.
- Support tickets and manage incidents, service requests, and problems through their full life-cycle.
- Document status updates and communicate to necessary parties.
- Bringing 10+ years of experience in UNIX System Administration, able to offer conceptual knowledge as well as practical application?
- Eager for new opportunity and willing to put in the time and effort take advantage of it?
- Self-motivated in pursuing new issues and driving them to resolution?
- Familiar with ticketing systems and the value of good documentation?
- Knowledgeable of Ansible to perform system management and automation on an enterprise level?
- Understanding of containers and how they can be leveraged in DevOps environments?
- Knowledgeable in Docker and Kubernetes and how to leverage those technologies in a DevOps environment?
- Able to administer systems via its command line interface?
- Able to apply system updates via YUM and RPM?
- Able to understand network topology and its association with DNS?
- Knowledgeable of how to partition disks using fdisk or gdisk and use basic LVM commands to create volume groups and logical volumes from physical volumes?
- Able to create, delete and modify users and manage system services (start, stop, check status)?
- Understanding of basic bash scripting?
- Able to locate and interpret system log files to troubleshoot issues?
- Understanding of Linux processes and the manipulation of them?
- Understanding of MAN pages and how to use them?
- Strong with user management skills through the command line and an understanding of Linux/AD authentication and the use of realmd/Kerberos?
- Understanding of DNS and how to configure A Records and CNAMES in a zone file and how to query DNS via nslookup?
- Understanding the management and configuration of SELinux and how it can affect application runtime and security?
- Understanding and demonstrated ability to interpret and utilize scripting (e.g. Python, Bash, Perl, etc) to automate and streamline system administration?
- A US Citizen who can obtain a public trust clearance?
Successful Traits in this Role include:
Not satisfied with good enough
Likes to work with motivated and gifted team
Engaging problem solver
Minimum Essential Functions:
- Occasional travel to customer sites, including overnight travel
- Flexible schedule to support necessary off-hours maintenance and upgrades
- Support on-call rotation
- Ability to use necessary equipment to execute primary job functions (long term computer use, etc.)
- Assessing risk of specific issues and escalating to management for support in a timely manner.
Why 1901 Group is a Great Place to Work
The health and happiness of our employees and their families is our top priority. That’s why we offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package to help you and your loved ones feel secure. We strive to create the best experience for you, so you can continue doing the things you love. The following represents an overview of our offerings:
Health & Wellness
- 1901 Group offers above-industry standard, high-quality medical, pharmacy, dental and vision plans. A single carrier supports our offerings of two medical, two dental and a single, comprehensive vision plan.
- Two Telehealth/Telemedicine services as part of the medical plan, allowing you to get the care you need – including most prescriptions – for a wide range of minor conditions.
Flexible Payment Options via Pretax Deductions
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account
Paid Time Off
- Generous leave options to include: vacation, sick leave, all major and federal holidays, jury duty, bereavement, military leave, maternity, and paternity leave.
- Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) Savings Programs with company match
Coverage for the Unexpected or “Just in Case” Moments
- Two Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs)
- Company-paid Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Company-paid Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance Supplemental Life and AD&D Insurance for Employees, Spouses, and Children
Our Focus on Professional & Team Growth:
At 1901 Group we empower our employees with exponential career development and growth opportunities by utilizing a more modern form of employee assessment – quarterly reviews. We put our employees in the driver’s seat of their evaluation process – and their development. Learning and development is offered through a variety of platforms, designed to satisfy different learners at different stages within their careers.
Employee-Driven Performance Management & Learning
We support a philosophy and approach where “Everyone Learns”. Whether it be via online training or domain specific classroom & instructor lead training – we anticipate our employees will constantly seek out new ways to improve themselves – personally and professionally.
Selected applicants will be subject to a background investigation. Individual’s primary workstation is located in an office area with overhead lighting. The noise level in this environment is low to moderate. Regularly required to sit for extended periods up to 80% of time; frequently required to move about to access file cabinets and use office equipment such as PC, copier, fax, telephone, cell phone, etc. Occasionally required to reach overhead, bend, and lift objects of up to 10 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include use of computer monitor screens up to 80% of time.
This position profile incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned may also be performed, and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs. Nothing in this profile restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
1901 Group is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
1901 Group is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
1901 Group “Contingent” offers for employment may stipulate that one or more requirements be satisfied before final commitment between candidate and 1901 Group is established; namely, award of contract to the 1901 Group. Contingent requirements vary and may also include, but not be limited to additional factors (i.e., the position still being available after negotiations with the Government; final approval of your qualifications by the Government; or ability to successfully acquire and/or transfer a DoD security clearance)
U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
1901 Group is a drug free workplace.