Job Title: Operating System (Unix) Engineer
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Clearance Required: Eligibility for a Government Public Trust (SF-85) background investigation (US Citizenship required)
ABOUT 1901 GROUP:
1901 Group provides IT services through the use of an integrated cloud-based platform that enables monitoring, management, and optimization of IT environments that span on-premise, co-location, and cloud computing environments. Our “as a service” model (XaaS) embeds all of the people, processes and technology necessary to deliver highly efficient IT services on a 24x7x365 basis.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
This role will work closely with the Software Development and Platform Operations teams to support the design, automation, and deployment of IT solutions. A successful candidate will have technical experience in building infrastructure and applications for scalability, resiliency, availability, and recovery. A key portion of this position will design migrations from a traditional infrastructure deployment model to an infrastructure as code model with automation and monitoring using DevOps methods. In addition, the candidate will be expected to design and implement process automation that transitions manual processes and workflows into DevOps style flows.
The successful candidate will be able to analyze existing and future client needs and review technical alternatives with these clients to determine the impact on their environment while maintaining a client's security and if applicable compliance needs. The successful candidate will also demonstrate excellent customer service skills as well as technical excellence in all communications, whether client facing or internally. Excellent Verbal and Writing Skills are a must.
Coordinate and collaborate with the engineering and operations teams to complete various server and DevOps related projects, such as designing, documenting, deploying, and troubleshooting enterprise Unix systems and servers. This individual will design Unix architecture and lead system deployments and testing based on the customer’s requirements. You will develop custom scripts to automate routine and repetitive tasks using Unix Shell, Python, or other scripting languages.
This individual will serve as a subject matter expert for escalation of Unix support issues from the operations team; provide timely response to customer escalations, must have a good disposition and interpersonal skills with customers, fellow staff, and management.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and supporting complex technical infrastructures, hardware, and system software components. As member of the engineering team, you will work closely with various Infrastructure Operations Team Leads and technical teams to ensure successful requirements management, integration, deployment and transition to operations of system capabilities.
- 7+ years experience with building and maintaining production environments in large-scale consumer enterprises.
- Engineering knowledge of Unix operating system.
- In-depth knowledge of engineering principles to acquire, implement, design, test, develop architectures, and maintain integrated computer systems.
- Ability to analyze data for evaluation of operational systems to establish requirements for modification or replacement.
- Must have demonstratable experience and skills necessary to provide highly technical expertise and guidance in solving complex engineering problems, develop standards and guidelines for technical tasks being performed, develop system specification and system interface specifications, and develop requirements and configuration control management.
- Production experience developing, configuring and supporting monitoring systems, alerting and analytics.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code deployments using CloudFormation, Terraform, or similar tools.
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment and using CI/CD and automation tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, or Chef.
- Experience working in a managed service provider environment supporting a wide range of customers.
- Experience with Oracle Weblogic and/or IBM Websphere.
- Advanced scripting or programming experience.
- Experience with AWS or Azure cloud platforms.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Bachelors degree in relevant technical field or equivalent experience.
Required: Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENT STATEMENT: None
This position profile incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned may also be performed, and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs. Nothing in this profile restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
1901 Group is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
1901 Group offers a full package of benefits and competitive salary, excellent group medical, vision and dental programs, life insurance and short term/long term disability coverage, 401K savings plan; employee training, development and education programs; advancement opportunities; and much more!
1901 Group is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
1901 Group “Contingent” offers for employment may stipulate that one or more requirements be satisfied before final commitment between candidate and 1901 Group is established; namely, award of contract to the 1901 Group. Contingent requirements vary and may also include, but not be limited to additional factors (i.e., the position still being available after negotiations with the Government; final approval of your qualifications by the Government; or ability to successfully acquire and/or transfer a DoD security clearance)
U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
1901 Group is a drug free workplace.