ITSM Technical Writer - Intern
Job Title: ITSM Technical Writer - Intern
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Clearance Required: Eligibility for a Government Public Trust (SF-85) background investigation (US Citizenship required)
ABOUT 1901 GROUP:
1901 Group provides IT services through the use of an integrated cloud-based platform that enables monitoring, management, and optimization of IT environments that span on-premise, co-location, and cloud computing environments. Our “as a service” model (XaaS) embeds all of the people, processes and technology necessary to deliver highly efficient IT services on a 24x7x365 basis.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
The IT Service Management Intern will assist with operations process improvement, documentation, and good practice assessment and development in support of activities in our Enterprise IT Operations Center (EITOC) in Blacksburg VA.
The candidate is not expected to have IT operations, change management, or knowledge management experience going into this role. This will be an opportunity to learn about IT service management (ITSM). This knowledge, and the experience to be gained, will help initiate the candidate into a field that offers a lot of job opportunities (ITSM, IT operations management, change management, knowledge management, IT project management, and technical writing), and greatly enhance the candidate's attractiveness in the job market.
Primary duties and responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Supporting the needs of members of the Office of Service Management Capability with duties as assigned
- Assisting the wider Operations team through various activities, such as:
- assembling existing knowledge documents into structured work instructions and procedures
- coordinating action to address process improvement items
- gathering requirements for and authoring sections of process and work instruction documentation
- creating training materials or CBTs
- Proofreading documents for structural clarity, accuracy, and style standards
- Becoming proficient in ServiceNow and IT service management good practices
- Must be able to work for a minimum of 12 weeks during the target semester period
- Eligibility for work in the United States for any employer
- Experience working with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to learn quickly on the job
- Ability to provide their own transportation to and from work
- Outstanding work ethic and professionalism
- A demonstrated goal oriented and results driven personality
- Ability to deal with change and maintain a professional demeanor at all times
- Experience working with one or more of the following applications: Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, Adobe Captivate, ServiceNow is a plus
- Familiarity with ITSM or ITIL is not required, but would be a plus
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program in good standing
- Pursuit of a degree in English, communications, business, management, information systems management, or a related field is preferred
Selected applicants will be subject to a background investigation. Individual’s primary workstation is located in an office area with overhead lighting. The noise level in this environment is low to moderate. Regularly required to sit for extended periods up to 80% of time; frequently required to move about to access file cabinets and use office equipment such as PC, copier, fax, telephone, cell phone, etc. Occasionally required to reach overhead, bend, and lift objects of up to 10 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include use of computer monitor screens up to 80% of time.
This position profile incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned may also be performed, and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs. Nothing in this profile restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
1901 Group is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
1901 Group offers a full package of benefits and competitive salary, excellent group medical, vision and dental programs, life insurance and short term/long term disability coverage, 401K savings plan; employee training, development and education programs; advancement opportunities; and much more!
1901 Group is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
1901 Group “Contingent” offers for employment may stipulate that one or more requirements be satisfied before final commitment between candidate and 1901 Group is established; namely, award of contract to the 1901 Group. Contingent requirements vary and may also include, but not be limited to additional factors (i.e., the position still being available after negotiations with the Government; final approval of your qualifications by the Government; or ability to successfully acquire and/or transfer a DoD security clearance)
U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
1901 Group is a drug free workplace.