Linux Systems Administrator
Job Title: Linux/Unix System Administrator - Intermediate
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Clearance Required: Eligibility for a Security Clearance
About 1901 Group:
1901 Group provides IT services using an integrated cloud-based platform that enables monitoring, management, and optimization of IT environments that span on-premise, co-location, and cloud computing environments. Our “as a service” model (XaaS) embeds all the people, processes and technology necessary to deliver highly efficient IT services on a 24x7x365 basis.
Purpose of the Job:
This individual will work as an intermediate Linux/Unix system administrator in support of the customer’s infrastructure operations. The administrator will provide remote enterprise server support, consisting of physical and virtual servers requiring complete life cycle support for all hardware, software, and services. All servers are housed within the agency’s Data Centers. The support within this task area will require the administrator to assist and support Sr. Linux Administrators in planning, analysis, testing, implementation, operations and maintenance, information assurance, cybersecurity, and final disposition of all Linux/Unix systems owned by the agency.
- Support Sr. administrators in the maintenance and management of remote systems
- Apply Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) on remote hosts to ensure security compliance
- Ensure that data center operations are sustained during all maintenance activities
- Execute all applicable Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) controls for systems. Submit any applicable Plan of Action and Milestone (POAM) where required.
- Deliver high availability for all server resources within the data center while ensuring confidentiality and integrity of the environment
- Ensure all aspects of Disaster Recovery (DR) are operational and tested
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, as well as, the ability to analyze and solve complex problems as a team
- Understand the management and configuration of SELinux and how it can affect application runtime and security
- Understand and demonstrated ability to interpret and utilize scripting (e.g. Python, Bash, Perl, etc) to automate and streamline system administration
- Be able to apply system updates via YUM and RPM and troubleshoot bad updates to determine the proper fix
- Have demonstrated experience using VLANs, troubleshooting tools such as netstat, ss and telnet as well as how to harden a system using firewalld/iptables and hosts.allow
- Have exposure to or understanding of the DISA STIG or its commercial equivalent and be able to demonstrate experience in system hardening and auditing. Understand the effect of applying STIGs on OS functionality and auditing
- Understand SAN/storage concepts (LUNs, HBAs), logical volume management (LVM), & NFS and how to utilize all of those with the OS
- Demonstrated ability managing and/or creating services via the command line. Display understanding of services such as SMTP/NTP/SFTP and the basic requirements for utilizing each
- Strong user management skills through the command line and an understanding of Linux/AD authentication and the use of realmd/Kerberos
- Understanding of DNS and how to configure A Records and CNAMES in a zone file and how to query DNS via nslookup
- Strong writing skills with the ability to develop technical and non-technical documentation for team members and management
- Willingness to learn and apply new technologies to fit customer needs
- Able to work without supervision and accomplish tasks with little guidance
- Exposure to Ansible and able to automate tasks via playbooks
- Familiarity with Docker/Kubernetes/Openshift and how to leverage those technologies in a DevOps environment
- Working knowledge of Solaris 10/11
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in the field
Required: Comptia Linux + or other equivalent certification or demonstrated knowledge
Desired: RHCSA or demonstrated knowledge
3+ years performing system administration on Linux/Unix systems
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENT STATEMENT:
This position profile incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned may also be performed, and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs. Nothing in this profile restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
1901 Group is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
1901 Group offers a full package of benefits and competitive salary, excellent group medical, vision and dental programs, life insurance and short term/long term disability coverage, 401K savings plan; employee training, development and education programs; advancement opportunities; and much more!
1901 Group is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
1901 Group “Contingent” offers for employment may stipulate that one or more requirements be satisfied before final commitment between candidate and 1901 Group is established; namely, award of contract to the 1901 Group. Contingent requirements vary and may also include, but not be limited to additional factors (i.e., the position still being available after negotiations with the Government; final approval of your qualifications by the Government; or ability to successfully acquire and/or transfer a DoD security clearance)
U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
1901 Group is a drug free workplace.